Philosophy of Education
St. Agnes School is a center of education, a service to the parish and an expression of faith of the people of St. Agnes Parish. As a Christian educational community, St. Agnes is committed to providing an environment where human knowledge is not only imparted but also enlightened and enlivened by an active faith. Community is at the heart of every Catholic School, not simply as a concept to be taught, but as a reality to be lived.
The family depends on the school to provide a quality education for each child. The purpose of the school is to build upon the foundation that began at home. St. Agnes School is committed to the development of the whole person. The teacher views the child as he/she is, a unique composite of body and soul, not yet mature, but in the process of growing - spiritually, morally, intellectually, emotionally, physically and socially.
This growth is enthusiastically encouraged by the faculty as they try to provide a quality education for each child in a comfortable, enjoyable and organized atmosphere. These efforts presuppose parental understanding and approval and require parental cooperation with classroom teachers. The aim of St. Agnes School is not to supplant parents, but to help them fulfill their obligations.
And so, St. Agnes School strives to help parents in the God-given task of educating their children, working as partners in this awesome undertaking. Parents, teachers and students work together to make St. Agnes School a Catholic Community that will help everyone grow in the love of God and others so that students will be better prepared to meet the demanding challenges of today and tomorrow.
In light of the philosophy, St. Agnes School staff strives to achieve the following goals:
- To create a Christian community where the student can personally discover the presence
and message of God.
- To instill deep love and reverence for the Liturgy through teaching, example and
- To actively search out, support and participate in activities which render service to the
parish and world community.
- To instill social justice principles in the Christian responses of students.
- To instill a respect for life and all of creation.
- To help the student become aware of alternatives and consequences before making a
choice in thought or action and to be responsible for those choices.
- To develop an attitude of concern for others.
- To provide the student with opportunities to translate into practical action his or her
ideals of service.
- To provide experience geared to each child’s ability.
- To help each student develop the power to think critically, reason independently and
- To provide an atmosphere in which each child’s creativity and inquisitiveness can be
- To help the student develop a positive self-image.
- To create a classroom atmosphere in which each child is accepted and valued.
- To provide learning situations in which students develop the ability to deal with their
feelings toward themselves and others.
- To provide exercise and activities which foster a healthy development of body and mind.
- To provide extra-curricular activities which promote good sportsmanship, school spirit and a feeling of unity within St. Agnes School.
- To provide a learning environment that promotes wellness and good nutrition.
- To promote opportunities for growth in responsible leadership and citizenship by
instruction, example and encouragement.
- To develop an appreciation for the dignity of the human person, whatever age, race, sex
or creed, through study and experience.
- To give guidance in the right use of leisure by exposure to music, drama, art, sports and